Monday, August 09, 2010

Rober Kirkman Interview

The Walking Dead by Robert Kirk is scheduled to be aired in the next few months. But before that, he has just been interviewed by GQ. I really admire this man for being so gutsy on the things that he says and the things that he do in the comic industry. Below is only one my favorite Q and A from the entire interview.

-----------

GQ: You gave up doing work-for-hire comics a few years back to do creator-owned work full-time. And you raised some eyebrows in the industry by saying publicly that other high-profile creators should do the same. Why did you think it was important to say that, and risk the kind of flak you got for saying it?

Robert Kirkman : In comics right now, it seems like all creators are doing is saying, "I'll write Spider-Man for a few years, and then I'll write Superman for a few years, and then I'll write Batman for a few years, and then I'll write Fantastic Four for a few years." And historically, if you look at that, that leads to a diminishing career. People get sick of you writing the same characters over and over. People lose interest, and your career kind of piddles out, and you have to go off and do something else, and it doesn't really help the industry at all. In the '30s and the '40s and the '50s and the '60s, all the people that were doing comics were creating new characters, and that's where we got our Spider-Mans and our Supermans, and even Wolverine and all that stuff, in the '70s. But nowadays people basically have an entire career where all they do is write corporate characters, and I think that's a bad thing for them, and it's a bad thing for the industry. We need to introduce new stuff to keep comics interesting. If all we're doing is Spider-Man and the fan base gets sick of Spider-Man, comics are over. I'm making a fantastic living doing my own stuff, and I just wanted to make sure that people knew that was possible, and that I felt it should be done, for whatever that's worth. I figured I might as well be the guy that was like, "We don't have to write Spider-Man, guys."

No comments: