Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Japanese Invasion

During my childhood days growing up in the 80’s. I often have watched a local and foreign World War II movie where the Japanese was mostly portrayed as the villains of the movie. Invaders that is out to conquer our native land. And also on those times, I found my self addicted to cartoon television shows that are made by Japanese such as Voltes V and Daimos. I also wanted to become a ninja at that time. Me and my brother (Kuya Gerry) together with our cousins (Rene, Perry and Kuya Yayan) was often creating deadly ninja weapons and play with them (boys will be boys). As early at that time, the Japanese is already invading our television, economy and culture.

Even though that the Japanese loose in WW2, they eventually won. They are technologically advanced nation. You can see their cars today anywhere in the world. Even with todays dominant economy of China, Japan still has a big influence in the worlds economy. And another thing that is a little bit disturbing to me is the Japanese cultural boom here in the Philippines. Majority of the Filipino teenagers today are very much influenced by the Anime, Manga, Japanese culture in short. Just like what I said in my previous post, I do not blame them. Heck, if I was a teenager today, I would probably be one of them. If you are a Filipino who wants do draw like Japanese then so be it. If you’re a Filipino that wants to dress up like a Japanese then dress like one. It’s your choice by the way. It’s perfectly fine with me. As long as you also draw and dress up like a Filipino. Please don’t forget who you are, and who your ancestors are. It is just a little bit disturbing for me to promote other culture all the time. While our very own are slowly being sentence to death right before our very own eyes. And we don’t even know it.

It is ok for me to be influence by Japanese or American culture as long as you know who you are. At the end of the day you know how to distinguish your self from them.

Isa rin ito siguro dahil hindi umuunlad ang Pilipinas. Masyado tayong bilib sa mga taga ibang bansa at wala tayong tiwala sa sariling atin. Kaya nga tuwang tuwa tayo pag nanalo si Paquiao at Efren Bata di ba. Dahil deep inside, we feel inferior to other countries. Self confidence lang siguro ang kailangan natin as a nation. At hindi lang puro sat-sat, gumawa ka at kumilos ka Pinoy.

I think I already have spoke too much here already. So I guess, you have to excuse me and I am going to prepare my comics for the Mangaholix event. :-)

No comments: