Monday, April 14, 2008

Script finished

I had a splitting head ache last Sunday night after finishing the script for the Sanduguan-Kalayaan crossover. But I am much ok now. It was a two day straight of brain squezing effort for me. It's a 20 page script with thumbnails. It was very tiring but very enjoyable as well. Specially when I created some humorous dialog of some of the characters.

I wanted to finish it right away so I can go back and continue my work on issue number 4. Which I think that I am a little bit behind on schedule already. I also wanted to finish it way ahead of its scheduled release so Gener would have an easy and non pressure way of drawing the pages. This is the first time I will be working with a anybody on comics and I wanted it to be enjoyable as possible for the person I am working with. And besides, this is a BIG favor and honor that Gener is giving me. I do not want to waste it.

I have already given him a photocopy of the script I made. We met last night at Megamall after my office work. It is a convenient place for me since it is just a walking distance from our office. Every time I talk to Gener, I always learn something new about our Philippine heritage. He is like a walking book of knowledge on Philippine Mythology. I found my self yesterday sitting with him and hearing this wonderful story that he has. Many wonderful character that we have that majority of Filipino does not even know existed. I then realize how little I know about our history, Philippine folktales and old traditions. I also saw his sketches of many interesting character that are based on Filipino Mythology. And what amazes me is that he has a story for each and every one of those characters.

I sometimes shake my head as I surf around the internet and see most of the young Filipino today are adopting Japanese and other countries culture instead of ours. I have nothing against Manga and I do not blame these youngster. They are what they are today because of the influence of media. They do costplay, dressing up like Japanese characters because they idolize what they see on T.V., that is what they are because there is no one out there making animation about Filipino based heroes and not enough comics based on our Filipino culture. Superheroes that is truly Pinoy. It is sad that we do not have or slightly loosing our character as a nation.

I admire the Japanese, the sister of my wife got married to a Japanese. We occasionally see each other every time they visit the Philippines. I even have an audio CD of how to speak Japanese. I listen to it once in a while. They are a people that values their culture. Technologically advance and yet they retain their old ways. I only admire them, but I do not want to be one of them. I have my own identity and so should all of us. Filipinos are loosing its identity. Filipinos has so much to prove to the world. We often lookup to other countries. And I think that is were the problem lies.

I work as a computer programmer at Pan de Manila. The reason I brought that up is because if you look at our branches you would notice that it has a Filipino theme. A few years ago my boss show me a give away calendar for our customers. When I looked at it, it looked like a post card with a painting of the old Manila. I simply said "Ang ganda po sir, Pinoy na Pinoy and dating". The daughter of my boss replied "Yan ang gustong marining ng Daddy ko sa iyo, Gio". Every time I remember that event, medyo kinukurot ang puso ko. Dahil ang boss ko ay Filipino-Chinese. Iniisip ko, Mabuti pa sya, hindi full blooded na Filipino, nag mamalasakit sa kulturang Pilipino. Hindi katulad ng iba.

No comments: