Sunday, September 16, 2007

Conversation w/ the BIG boys

I went to Robinson's Galleria last Saturday (Sept. 15) to deliver a few copies of Kalayaan #2 . And when I arrived at Robinson, when I was near Comic Odyssey, I came across a newly opened Filbars stores. The first thing that came across my mind is that I was concern for Comic Odyssey, because they have a competition now. I decided to go inside to check it out.

Conversation with Fil Barbasa (FILBARS)

When I entered the Filbars store, I immediately noticed that the numbers of comics being sold are fewer than the number of Magazines. I think that this is becoming a trend now for Filbars stores. I once read on another blog (I could not remember which blog) that Filbars has also opened a branch in Iloilo a few months ago that has no comics on it, only magazines. And at SM Fairview branch of Filbars where my house is very near, there are no comics either.

Anyway, as I was looking around at Filbars (Robinson Galleria). A guy approached me and start asking me questions. "Hello, are you a collector?, are you looking for a specific item? Do you work around here?". Normally, I would be hesitant to answer to a guy with questions like that. But I already have an idea who this guy is. His face is a little bit familiar to me because I once read an article on a local magazine about him a few years ago. He is non other than the big boss of Filbars him self, Fil Barbasa. We have talk for a while, he was talking alot of stuff and later on
he was offering me a job, a part time job. A business partner as he says. But in reality, as the way I see it. He is just offering me to be his freelance salesman for his magazine subscription. I later on said "ok, I will think about it and gave him my business card."

Without telling him that I’m an independent comic book publisher/creator (I had my Kalayaan#2 hidden on my bag.). I asked him why don't he sell independent local comics on his stores? It is a question that I often asked myself. And thank GOD now I have the opportunity to ask the big man him self. (Figuratively speaking off course, we are just about the same height.). Do you know what his reply is?, he said "Well, I am more on the global thing right now, I am not much on a lokal thing.", in short "NO", or "I don't care about that". Right there and then, I know that he is not a comics enthusiast. He is a businessman, plain and simple. I am not sure if he has lost his love of comics through the course of time, or it wasn't really there on the first place. He talks more on the magazine subscription the he is offering right now rather than the comics that have made his wealth from the past.

When I was in collage, around the early 90's. I was a loyal customer of Filbars store at cubao Alimall branch. At that time, I was admiring the owner of that store for giving us (comics lover) a chance to buy a copy of our favorite comics. Because at that time, there were very very few stores that sell Marvel and DC comics (new issues). And isn't it cool to have a business that you love? A comic book store of your own? But I guess, after talking to him in person, that notion of admiration have eventually diminished. He is simply a businessman.


Conversation with
boss Sandy (of Comic Odyssey)

After Filbars, I went straight to Comic Odyssey. I met for the first time boss Sandy. He was not around on the first time I delivered Kalayaan #1, he only goes there every Saturday. I was kind of surprise because he is younger than I expected. At the first time we talked, we simply connects. We have the same wave length. He has the same appreciation and love for the local Philippine comics industry as I do. He supports and help the local industry as much as he can. He has a humble tone of voice and pretty much down to earth. I just could not help it to compare him to Filbars that I recently talked to. They are two different person that has different perspective. One is business and expansion and the other one is business, love and passion.

No comments: